Monday, May 25, 2009

Poem on Mortification

This is an allegorical poem that I wrote for Literature. It tells a story that every true Christian can relate to. Read these verses before you read the post so you can better understand it: Proverbs 5:3-5, 7:24-27; Matthew 5:29-30; Romans 8:12-13; Colossians 3:5-7; Psalm 19:8-10

The Friendly Foe

By Alex Long

The path I trod was straight and narrow.

I knew the prize that lay at the end,

But fatigue had begun to drive it from me.

Suddenly there stood before me a beautiful woman,

Whose lips dripped honey as she spoke,

Enticing me to come away with her

To a place of rest and pleasure.


So enraptured was my weary heart,

That little resistance did I make,

And no sooner had I followed,

Than the harlot led me to a palace.

A place like this I had never seen,

Where all my desires and lusts,

Could all be satisfied in one place.

Rich meat there was, and pleasures abundant,

And I saturated myself until

I could no longer endure,

And falling on the rich pillows

Sank into deep drugged slumber.

Fitful sleep was mine that night,

Until with a start I awoke.


To my horror, I sat in a dank cell

Surrounded by rotting corpses.

“Surely,” thought I, in disturbed wonder

“These were also the harlot’s victims.”

“How I had been the fool!”

“A wise man had warned me of her

In the Scroll that was my guide,

But I did not listen. Woe is me!”

“Surely I cannot escape from this place!”

Despairing, I remembered the words written

In the Scroll by the father of that wise man

When he spoke of a similar plight:

“He drew me up from the pit of destruction.”

I knew that the deliverer he spoke of

And He who had given to me the Scroll

Were one and the same, And He

Had turned me again to it when in direst need.


As I cried out to Him, my shackles, though iron,

Were cut like twine, and the thick doors of the dungeon

Were thrown open like a screen door.

Fleeing into the light, I raced toward the path,

Remembering the admonition of the Scroll to

“Flee also youthful lusts,”


But as I approached the path the harlot appeared.

My eyes were opened , though, and she appeared

Now as a serpent, dripping venom instead of honey.

Filled with disgust and loathing, I unsheathed the Scroll

And slew with merciless brutality the serpent,

But in the process lost one of my hands.

But that was of no consequence now,

I knew it would be restored on that Day

When battles would cease and rest ensue.

As I walked, the thought came to me:

“What will replace the pleasures that sin gave?”

It was then I remembered the words of the Scroll

In which it was described as “sweeter than honey

From the comb,” and taking it I ate and was satisfied,

And went on my way rejoicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment